My staple breakfast. The apples provide a nice texture and sweetness so no extra sugar is necessary.
- ⅔ cup + 1 ounce of water
- ¼ cup of Bob's Red Mill quick cooking steel-cut oats
- 1 dash of sea salt
- 1 dash of ground cloves
- 1 dash of ground nutmeg
- 2 dashes of ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cut Honeycrisp apple
- Boil ⅔ cup of water in a small sauce pan. Add a dash of sea salt.
- While the water is heating, prepare the oats. Pour ⅛ cup of steel-cut oats into a ¼ measuring cup. Put a dash of ground cloves and nutmeg on the oats. Shake the cup to even the oats.
- Pour another 1/8 cup of oats into the cup. Then add a dash of ground cinnamon. Shake the cup to even the oats.
- Once the water is boiling, pour the oats into the saucepan. Stir, then cover with a lid.
- Lower the heat to low so the oats simmer.
- While the oats are cooking, dice 1/3 of a medium-sized Honeycrisp apple.
- Stir the oats occasionally. The oatmeal is done cooking when small bubbles start appearing, after ~10-15 minutes.
- Pour the oatmeal into a bowl.
- Add the sliced apples on the oatmeal.
- Add a dash of cinnamon to the apples.
- Drizzle 1 ounce of water onto the oatmeal and apples, then stir together.